The Tazewell County Deed Collection contains original deeds, titles, and mortgages from 1830-1929. This information has been recorded at the Tazewell County Recorder’s Office. However, the collection does not contain all records for this time frame. So, not finding a deed in our collection does not mean no deed exists!
You may search the Deed Collection Index below. Here are some tips on how to do searches.
Deeds range from a ½ page to multiple pages. As some deeds are very fragile, an appointment must be made with a TCGHS archivist to see them in person.
Photocopies may be ordered for $1.00 per page which includes postage. Copies are single-sided only. Emailed scans are not currently available.
We recommend contacting us by email for a copy quote since our archivists are volunteers who may not always be at the library when you call.
When you request a deed copy quote, an archivist will inform you of the total number of pages and the cost. Each form will allow you to request copies for up to five deeds. You may submit multiple forms but we reserve the right to limit processing to one form per week per individual.
If you decide you want copies, mail your order & payment to our archivist—include a phone number, e-mail address and/or self-addressed stamped envelope with your request.
If you'd rather pay online, ask us how to make a payment using PayPal (we'll add a $1 handling fee to cover the PayPal fee).
We cannot guarantee the name on a deed is the person you’re looking for. Please see our research services if you need further research done.
|wdt_ID||Last Name||First Name||Date of Deed|
|1||Abbey||Dexter||15 Apr 1856|
|2||Abbey||Harriett||15 Apr 1856|
|3||Abbot||William||15 Dec 1873|
|4||Abbot||William||14 Jun 1886|
|5||Abbot||Wm||05 Jan 1874|
|6||Abbott||Bernice||10 Mar 1900|
|7||Abbott||Charles J||08 Sep 1894|
|8||Abbott||Charles J||07 Dec 1894|
|9||Abbott||Charles J||28 Apr 1922|
|10||Abbott||Ella C||28 Apr 1922|
|11||Abbott||Ella Copes||13 May 1931|
|12||Abbott||Emma J||10 Mar 1900|
|13||Abbott||James||10 May 1886|
|14||Abbott||James||25 Aug 1886|
|15||Abbott||John||07 Feb 1859|
|16||Abbott||Mary Ann||27 Jan 1882|
|17||Abbott||Matilda||10 May 1886|
|18||Abbott||Matilda||25 Aug 1886|
|19||Abbott||Nicholas M||30 Oct 1857|
|20||Abbott||Nicholas M||27 Jan 1882|
|21||Abbott||Reuben H||10 Mar 1900|
|22||Abel||Flora Mattheessen||26 May 1920|
|23||Abel||George||03 Mar 1917|
|24||Abel||George||16 Mar 1917|
|25||Abel||Henry||26 May 1920|
|Last Name||First Name||Date of Deed|
- Be aware that this collection only contains deeds recorded in Tazewell County. If you believe your ancestor may have bought his land directly from the federal government, search the Bureau of Land Management General Land Office Records database for the original patent (also sometimes referred to as "the first deed")
- Otherwise, as you enter criteria into a search box, the display will automatically change to show only matching rows.
- Use the upper Search Box to search the entire database. For example, if you enter "Dillon", the display changes to those rows that contain a Last Name containing "Dillon" or a First Name containing "Dillon".
- Use the boxes at the bottom of each column to limit your search only to that column's content. Suggested uses:
- Last Name - limit the rows displayed to just those last names you are interested in.
- First Name – limit the rows displayed to just those first names you are interested in. Handy when there are several variations of a last name but you are sure of the first name's spelling.
- Date of Deed - look for time periods you are particularly interested in
- Combination - by placing criteria into multiple boxes you can do more sophisticated searches such as all Dillon deeds in 1892. However, don't forget to use the clear filters button at upper right to delete any earlier searches or you may get unexpected results!