Tazewell County Genealogical & Historical Society is pleased to announce that we are now a FamilySearch Affiliate Library!
Visitors to our library now have free access to many millions of additional digital images on the FamilySearch website than the same researcher can access from home.
Currently, when using the FamilySearch catalog to find digital microfilms for a geographic area, home researchers sometimes see a film listed with an icon of a camera with a key above it. If they click on the link, they receive a message that says the images can only be viewed at a "Family History Center or a FamilySearch Affiliate Library". Now, at our library, the researcher will actually be able to view those images.
Researchers simply need to log-in to FamilySearch from our library with their normal FamilySearch Username/Password and start using the FamilySearch website.
Don’t have a FamilySearch Username/Password? No problem!
- Just go to the FamilySearch website and click on the Create Account button in the upper right corner.
- Depending on the recovery option selected, you will be asked to verify your account by email or text message.
- Your free account will then be created. FamilySearch will even start a family tree for you with an entry for your name, birthdate, and gender.
To summarize, it’s as simple as:
- Visit our library.
- Use one of our library’s computers or connect your own laptop, tablet or smart phone to our Wi-Fi network.
- Go to the FamilySearch website.
- If you find someone is already logged in, click on their name to dropdown and then click Sign Out
- Sign in with your FamilySearch Username and Password
- Search for your ancestors among the FamilySearch databases using a surname, or
search the FamilySearch catalog for a geographic area associated with your ancestors.
- Add to your FamilySearch family tree with the surname search results you receive (optional), or
- Add to your FamilySearch family tree with the additional digital microfilm data images of records when searching the FamilySearch online catalog for the places your ancestors lived (optional), or
- Record the information in your favorite software or take manual notes.
- When done for the day, we recommend you sign out from FamilySearch to prevent the next user from accessing your data.
Access to FamilySearch will always be free to visitors.
Beside the FamilySearch website,
there are Android & Iphone apps for
FamilySearch Tree and FamilySearch Memories.