Tazewell County Genealogical & Historical Society (TCGHS) members receive a monthly newsletter—aptly titled The Monthly. The Monthly is filled with Tazewell County historical & genealogical articles, documents, and pictures as well as information on TCGHS special events, monthly meetings, and projects. Members can choose to receive The Monthly either printed (through the mail) or electronic (PDF via e-mail).
Each month, electronic subscribers receive an e-mail notification that the current issue of The Monthly is available. Clicking on a link opens the issue using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader program. Subscribers may then view The Monthly on their computer, print a copy to their local printer, and/or store a copy on their hard drive.
Advantages of the electronic version include:
- Timely delivery! (No printing and/or post office delays!)
- Perfect condition! (No torn corners, missing or mangled pages, or staples to remove!)
- Color illustrations! (Due to the high cost of color printing, The Monthly is only printed in black & white - even though the original pictures may have been in color!)
- Searchable text! (Less manual scanning of each page for your surnames!)
- Clickable Table of Contents! (Go directly to an interesting article!)
- Clickable links! (Email and web addresses are hyperlinks - just click to send an email or go to a website!)
- Less storage space! (The Monthly can be saved on your computer for later reference instead of having a physical pile of newsletters getting in your way!)
- Worldwide Access! (No need to make an address change if spending the winter down South! As long as Internet access is available, you'll be able to review the latest issue!)
- Society saves money! (Much less work and lower printing, paper, and postage costs!)
When you join the Society, you have your choice of receiving the Mailed or Electronic version of The Monthly. If you ever change your mind, just drop us a note asking to change to the other version.